|Update Philippines: The Path Toward Reconstruction|
Calabanga, Philippines – More than two months after Typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines, AVSI continues to collect funds for the immediate and long term needs of disaster victims. Assistance is provided by the Dominican Sisters of Blessed Imelda, present in the Philippines for over 40 years.
Sister Margherita Benetta is the director of the Dominican School of Calabanga. The school, funded in part by AVSI and located only a few miles outside of Manila, cares for nearly 800 children. Sister Margherita and those working at the school have been active in local relief efforts from the very first hours of the tragedy. In these two months, thanks to your donations, it has been possible for the sisters to:
1. Respond immediately with basic medicines and food stuffs
2. Finance the reconstruction of 8 homes
3. Distribute school supplies and materials to over 1300 students
4. Provide psychological support for over 150 children suffering from post-traumatic stress
6. Create temporary housing and provide assistance to dozens of students left nearly homeless
To date, through your generosity, AVSI-USA has helped collect over $6,500 for typhoon victims in the Philippines.