To subscribe to AVSI's newsletters enter your email address below and click on the "Subscribe" button.
News report captures successes of youth employment program in Brazil

Brazilian news agency Futura covered the AVSI-sponsored event on youth employment in September, including interviews of one of the young participants, Jean Jefferson, as well as AVSI Rio De Janeiro Program Director Paola Gaggini. The event marked the successes of the project “Vocational training and insertion into the formal job market for young residents of disadvantaged neighborhoods in Rio de Janeiro”, sponsored by the Italian government.

You can see the news coverage in Portuguese below:


The conference brought together important stakeholders to help promote the continuation of policies and programs removing barriers for youth employment. Those present included Nelson Sabioli, Fundação Roberto Marinho; Flávio José da Silva Costa, from the Brazilian Ministry of Labor; Ana Veloso, Gruppo FIAT; representatives of the Organização Internacional do Trabalho (Brazil’s International Labor Organization); and the Secretary of Labor and the Secretary of Social Assistance from the State or Rio de Janeiro.


The project reached 750 young people between the ages of 15 to 24, supporting completion of secondary education and transition for the youngest, and training courses for older participants through partnerships with local vocational training institutes. The courses were selected based on the needs of the market, where 60% of available jobs are related to tourism, administrative or secretarial work and sales or marketing, and the interests of individuals. Thanks to partnerships with over 100 businesses who offered internships, apprenticeships and eventually full employment contracts to participating youth, 80% are currently working. Some of these and a portion of the remaining 20% have decided to continue university studies, having learned the importance of high level studies. In addition, 120 teachers from the local secondary schools benefitted from trainings, giving them knowledge and tools to help their students choose a direction toward a career.


Read more:

CSRAmericas 2012: AVSI, FIAT Brazil model youth employment project

Program Area: Economic Strengthening & Employment

AVSI in Brazil